Gå til hovedindhold

Getting started - official matters

A systematic guide of official matters to take care of when moving to Horsens. Be aware that you have to comply in the exact order listed below.

  • Læs op


    International Citizen Service (ICS) is a one-stop shop, where you can receive your personal registration number (CPR number), MitID and Tax paper all at once. Read more in the list below.


    When moving to Denmark, you may need to apply for a registration certificate. The way to do that depends on your country of origin. Find all the information you need and how to apply at newtodenmark.dk

    As a resident in Denmark, you will need a CPR number. CPR stands for Central Person Register. Your CPR number is important in relation to any contact with the Danish authorities and especially in connection with tax and social security issues.

    To receive a CPR number, contact:

    ICS is a one-stop shop where you can receive your personal registration number (CPR number), MitID and Tax paper all at once. ICS assists with a number of other official matters as well as providing personal guidance on seeking jobs, the Danish tax system and more. You can also find information about living and working conditions, accommodation, childcare, social activities etc. The employees are trained in both bureaucratic and practical matters.

    • Citizen Service (Borgerservice) located at Samsøgade 3, 8700 Horsens, 8700 Horsens

    Please note that you must turn up in person and bring your passport, residence permit and lease in order to apply for a CPR number.

    Learn more about CPR number at Life in Denmark -  the official citizen portal of Denmark. 

    MitID is a common secure login on the internet, which will make is easy for you to use many online self-service solutions. You can use your MitID either with the MitID app or with the MitID code display. You will be able to use it for e.g. doing your online banking, finding out information from the public authorities and registering a change of address.

    You can request MitID:

    • On your phone via the MitID-app. You can request MitID through the app by using your passport.

    • At Citizen Service (Borgerservice), Samsøgade 3, 8700 Horsens.
      You will need either to answer questions from the CPR register about you or bring a person who can be your witness. Also, you will need to bring a bring valid ID. Read about valid ID options.

    • At International Citizen Service (ICS), DOKK1, Hack Kampmanns Plads 2, 8000 Aarhus C. Here you can apply for MitID, the personal number (CPR number) and Tax paper, all at once.

    In Denmark, various services such as libraries, roads, children’s schools and health sector are financed in part through taxes. Everyone working in Denmark is required to pay tax. The tax system is progressive, which means that the more you earn, the higher percentage you pay in income tax.

    If you will work in Denmark, you need to apply for a tax card at SKAT (the Danish Customs and Tax Administration). You can request a Tax card:

    • Online via the SKAT website:
      Danish tax card and personal tax number
    • At International Citizen service (ICS). Here you can apply for a Tax card, MitID and the personal number (CPR number), all at once.

    You can read more about the taxation in Denmark here:
    Taxation in Denmark

    In Denmark, all banks are private, so if you plan to have an income in Denmark, you will need a Danish bank account. Employers will pay your salary directly into your bank account, but other payments such as cash benefits, educational grant, child maintenance payments and pensions will be transfered directly as well.

    To open an account, you will need:

    • An employment contract (If you are a student you should bring your letter of enrollment from the Danish educational institution you attend).
    • A passport or ID with photo.
    • Proof of address in Denmark (such as a rental contract for your accommodation).
    • Your CPR number.
    • To ask the Bank to make the account a “NemKonto”.

    If you are a cross-border worker, you will need to bring:

    • An employment contract
    • A passport or ID with photo
    • A personal tax number/tax card

    Ask the Bank to make the account a “NemKonto”.
    Be aware that most banks in Denmark do not handle cash in house so it is not possible to make withdrawals or deposit money inside the Bank. Instead, ATMs are located all around Denmark and in general just outside the Bank.

    In some cases you will need to exchange your foreign driving licence for a Danish driving licence. Read about the rules at lifeindenmark.dk. 

    If you need to exchange your license, please contact Citizen Service (Borgerservice), City Hall, Samsøgade 3, 8700 Horsens.

    Telephone: 76 29 21 25

    If you have a Danish CPR number you will receive Digital Post from public authorities.

    You can find your Digital Post at lifeindenmark.dk at the top of the page. You will need to use MitID to log in. 

    Learn more about Digital Post here.

    Watch this explainer video about the importance of Digital Post. 

    Denmark has an extensive public healthcare system that offers free consultation and treatment at a local doctor's, emergency wards and public hospitals.

    If you work legally in Denmark, you are covered by the Danish health insurance system. Most examinations and treatments are free, but you need to register and get a health insurance card.

    Children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with their mother or father until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents. 

    Read more and order the yellow health insurance card here

    If you need medical treatment during travels in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein (EEA), or Switzerland you will have to use the blue European Health Insurance Card.

    Who can get the European health insurance card?

    You can get the blue European health insurance card if you live in Denmark, are a citizen of an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and you are covered by national health insurance in Denmark.

    In special cases, you may be entitled to a European health insurance card if you:

    • live abroad and work in Denmark.
    • are posted by a Danish employer to work in another country.

    Also, you may be entitled to a European health insurance card if you are a stateless person, a recognised refugee or a family member of a person covered by national health insurance in Denmark. A family member is your spouse or common-law partner and your children under 18 years of age. However, parents of children who are citizens of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland are not entitled to a blue European health insurance card.

    How to order the European Health Insurance Card

    Read more and apply for the Blue European Health Insurance Card here.  

    If you are not able to order the blue card online, you can contact Udbetaling Danmark by telephone: 70 12 80 81.

    Related pages